Today was another exciting day for the Crist household! Rachel started her 2 year old nursery school at First Baptist. I wasn't quite sure how the day would go, especially since last night at her dance class she gave me a taste of how she might react and it wasn't good.
We've been talking up her first day of school for weeks now, especially the last couple of days. She was excited about going to school but a little disappointed to learn that she won't be taking a school bus. Rachel loves school buses. We count them every morning on our way to mommom's house. We went shopping last week and bought her a Ni Hoa Ki-Lan backpack for her school papers and we even bought new shoes with the birthday gift cards she received! We had a conference with her new teachers last week so that she could get to know them before today. The exciting thing is that Rachel has the same nursery school teacher that Jake had 9 years ago when he went to First Baptist. How special is that? We feel so blessed to have Mrs. Melito again.
Our morning started off well and she even went into her little classroom without hesitation. I was even able to snap a few photos. She sat on Mrs. King's lap and was playing with the other kids and as soon as Dave and I went over to kiss her good-bye, well the sobs came. She cried and screamed so loudly that I heard her all the way out the front door. I was hesitant about leaving, but I knew this would be good for her. I cried all the way back to my office and I cried to my sister and my mother in-law on the phone. I felt like I completely abandoned her. I left her with total strangers and to expect her to feel comfortable and safe is ridiculous. The more I kept playing the scene in my head, I just wanted to run back to the school and snatch her up! They told me they would call if they couldn't calm her down. I was sure the phone was going to ring. I waited 30 minutes and decided to call the school myself. I couldn't stand it anymore! Apparently, she cried for about 20 minutes uncontrollably, but Rachel allowed the teacher to hold and comfort her, which is a great sign. After that, she got up and participated and there was no more tears! Amen! I was so happy and relieved. Believe me, I kept one eye on that clock for the next hour which is when I could leave and pick her up. This week they are only doing an hour and a half vs. the normal two and half hours which will start next week. When Dave and I arrived to pick Rachel up, she was being held by the teacher peeking out the door waiting for us. What a wonderful sight I must say! She was in very happy spirits and so very happy to see us. She didn't seem grief stricken as I thought she may and she even said she wanted to go back. The teacher commented on how intelligent Rachel is and that she spoke very well and was such a well-mannered little girl. Of course I was beaming ear to ear. Rachel is a smart little girl which is one of the reasons I knew nursery school would benefit her in so many ways. I'm so relieved that her day went better than I had anticipated. I'm curious what Thursday will bring. I guess it can go either way. She will know that we are leaving her, but she may end up loving it and not crying a tear. Me, her mother, that may be a different story!
So we are embarking on another journey of Rachel's life and I'm feel utterly blessed to be a part of it. Rachel is such a blessing and I'm so excited to see what my little sponge absorbs in the new chapter of her life.
2 comments:
Just know that she will be fine & it will get better. She knows that you guys love her! This is totally normal for a 2 year old to do. Whatever you do, do not sneak out, give her LOVE & say "see you a bit". She will soon realize this is part for her routine. It's definitely harder for the parents through. She will soon love & look forward to going back to school:) smooches to our "LadyBug"
Too cute. I'm catching way up here, so I've got like 5 of your posts to read. How's the year going for you all so far now? Hope to chat at ya soon :)
Post a Comment