Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Officially a Teenager



13 Years and Counting
 
I remember like yesterday when we found out we were pregnant with you. I’m not sure you know this Jake, but we honestly thought we were going to lose you. We tried for exactly one year to get pregnant and the very last month, if I wasn’t pregnant, we were going to seek medical help. We found out right around our 3rd Wedding Anniversary that I was pregnant and we couldn’t be more thrilled. A week or so later, I went for my first blood test, which didn’t come back normal, so the next day they repeated the blood test. The levels that should go up were not, so the doctor wanted me to have an ultrasound to confirm that things were okay. Things were not okay from the ultrasound and yet another round of blood tests was ordered. Long story short, I was told that I was either having a tubular pregnancy or that I would be having a miscarriage. The doctor wanted to be safe and ordered me to have a procedure done, which basically would clean out my tubes and uterus. Your dad and I were devastated and incredibly heart broken over this news. I was scheduled to be in the doctor’s office the next morning where the doctor would go over the latest blood results and from there I would head to the hospital to have this awful procedure. I was scared out of my mind and my heart was broken in a million pieces.

At this point, we had shared the bittersweet news with Mommom and Poppop. Mommom had accompanied us to our appointment that morning. We arrived for our 8 AM dr.’s appt. where the doctor basically told us the grim news and he did one last exam and determined that the procedure needed to be done. Dr. Guifrida had the nurse call the hospital to tell them that I was on my way. I was crying hysterically while putting on my coat. As we were about to leave, Dr. Guifrida says, “you know what, I want to do my own ultrasound here in the office. Take your coat off and follow the technician to the ultrasound lab.” I was confused, but did what I was told. Without getting into too much personal detail that I’m sure you would be grossed out by, when the doctor placed the probe, there appeared this little fluttering thing on the screen which I found out was your little heartbeat! I was confused but the doctor was smiling and started to cry. We were told that I was in fact pregnant and that everything looked completely normal. There we all are, surrounding this ultrasound machine watching your heart flutter with not a dry eye in the room. We had all just experienced a tremendous miracle.

I can’t tell you how close we came to losing you and how you wouldn’t even be here today if God hadn’t intervened. That was my first real glimpse that there is a God and that he heard my prayers. Things were touch and go for a little while, but we were indeed pregnant and we couldn’t have been more elated. When I think of that time, I get goose bumps and still choke up thinking how close we were to not having you here with us today. I thank God every day for you.

You are amazing! I know I give you a hard time and that I can unreasonable at times, but one thing is for sure…I love you with all my heart and want nothing more than for you to be happy and to succeed. Your dad and I are so proud of you and just elated about the young man you are becoming. When I see you interact with others, especially children, I am in awe at how sensitive and compassionate you are. You have this charisma about you that is so appealing and intriguing. No wonder the girls seem to love you! Although, if I had to be honest, I wish the girls could wait a few more years! LOL. But I know in my heart, you will do what is best and what God wants you to do. As long as you keep God first in your life, you will be a wonderful gentleman! I love you, Jake, and I wish you a Happy 13th Birthday! We love you!

No comments: