Sunday, August 1, 2010

Summer of Milestones

Wow, it’s August already!!! Summer is more than halfway over now and the kids are starting school in just a little under a month now. So crazy how fast life goes when you don’t slow down. Thank God everyone is happy and healthy these days.

We returned a couple of weeks ago after spending a week in Kansas City, Missouri with Dave’s Uncle Donald and his wife Jackie. Rachel did great flying with Dave and me and Jake drove the 17 hours in a car with his grandparents. He got to see the famous Gateway Arch as they passed through St. Louis, Missouri. Our vacation was interrupted, yet again, with illness. Rachel started with a fever the third day and we also noticed that she was frequently urinating. Seriously, the girl was going to the bathroom every 15 minutes. I know it’s not her fault, but my goodness, what a pain and inconvenience! I can’t wait till she can go by herself! Anyway, I knew something was wrong when her sleep became interrupted and she started complaining that her throat hurt. We made our way to an Urgent Care where we had her seen and where they performed a urinalysis. They diagnosed her with strep throat, ear infection and a bladder infection. We started her on an antibiotic and round the clock Motrin/Tylenol. Three days after seeing the doctor, we weren’t seeing an improvement and she continued getting a fever. She was not eating nor drinking and I was starting to get concerned that she would become dehydrated, especially because the frequent urination came to an almost complete stop. The physician’s assistant was so kind and called to check on Rachel. After filling her in on what has been happening over the last few days, she really thought Rachel should be seen again by a doctor this time. Good thing we did take her, because she was on the verge of dehydration and she was diagnosed with the hands, mouth and foot virus again. She had just had it in May after a visit to Sesame Place! No wonder it was so painful for her to eat or drink. We really had to push the fluids. I knew she was in pain, because she wouldn’t even drink a milkshake I bought to coax her into eating/drinking. We followed up with our doctor upon our return home and the sores were finally starting to dissipate in her mouth and they repeated another urine test and that also came back normal. She still urinates a lot, so that’s something we need to look into.

Our trip had some highlights, though. It wasn’t a complete bust after all! We did take a 3 hour drive to Springfield, Missouri to the famous Bass Pro Shop. If you or someone you know is a hunter or outdoorsman, they will know this store. It’s fun to visit even if you aren’t a hunter. I was thrilled to find a very cute pair of sandals for $10! Lots of stuffed animals on exhibit, aquariums, a turtle exhibit, and the décor is amazing. When you look up at the ceiling, it’s like we are the fish in the water. You see fish, the bottom of boats, feet hanging down, etc. So very cool and creative! There was even a Starbucks where I treated myself to a frapuccino. The Bass Pro Shop is where I received the good news that my friend, Andrea, was getting her referral that day! I might not be able to show my face there again since people thought I was being attacked or something because I was jumping up and down with excitement! LOL! We ate at a very famous restaurant that was featured on the Food Network called Lanterns. It was a family style restaurant known for its barbecue! Hot rolls were tossed around all over the place and servers carried around large pots to fill up your plate. A great experience, but just wished Rachel was feeling better. Another highlight for Jake and I was boating with Uncle Donald and Aunt Jackie. We got to go tubing! We have never done that before and honestly, I wasn’t sure I was going to do it. Aunt Jackie showed up the ropes and she was bouncing and going airborne all over the place. Uncle Donald promised he would take it easy on us. Jake gave it a try and he absolutely had a blast! It was a little unnerving watching Jake out on the lake with being completely unprotected by me and bouncing all over the place. It was unsettling, but by the look on his face, I knew he was having a great time. The worse that could happen was he’d fly off and the life jacket would keep him afloat. So now I’m thinking, “if he can do it, I sure can do it” and I did! It was such a rush being out there and water sprinkling in your face and just losing yourself out there. I was worried about falling off the tube, because again, it was unnerving to me to be in water where you can’t see below your feet and the thought of something swimming by me and rubbing against me just freaks me out! I know the living creatures in the water are probably more afraid of me than I am of it, but I was so scared. I held on for dear life! LOL! My arms felt like rubber when I was done from holding on so tight. I had so much fun though and I’m glad that I allowed myself to do it. Jake took another turn, but I figured I had enough for this time. I really would do it again and do hope I get a chance to do it again. What a blast!

We didn’t do as much as we wanted to do, but all in all, it was nice to get away and see family that we haven’t seen in awhile. We so appreciate Uncle Donald and Aunt Jackie giving up a week for us!

There has been some discussion and debating going on in our house that involves Jake and us, his parents. Jake is now 12 ½ years old and he’s maturing in every way. We are truly blessed for a wonderful and bright son. He just returned from a weekend with his friend, Miles, whom he’s known for quite a few years now. Mile’s parents invited Jake to go camping in Gettysburg and was gone for 3 ½ days. Boy, did I miss him. Anyway, Carrie, Mile’s mother, said that Jake was a delight and was very well mannered. He apparently was even great with their 7 year old nephew which was so nice to them. It’s nice that I can send Jake away with friends and not worry whether or not he’s misbehaving. I’d like to think we had something to do with that. Maybe putting the fear of God in children isn’t so bad after all! LOL. I’m just glad to know that he’s not the sarcastic kid that shows up in our house often, especially lately, and the back talking stops when among friends. So, I got off topic here, but lots of discussion going on about whether or not Jake is old enough to go out in a group unsupervised and if he’s allowed to take a young lady out on a date unsupervised. Of course, my gut and heart says absolutely not! He is way too young! And you know what, he is too young! Jake really hasn’t even been out in a group with adult supervision, so what makes him think he’s old enough to go out unsupervised. I’m so glad that when I posted a comment on Facebook, everyone who is a parent completely agreed! I shared each and every comment with Jake, including the one from my friend, Melanie’s daughter, Kayla. She will be 14 this month and she just went to the mall with a group of girlfriends unsupervised for the first time. She completely agrees that Jake is too young. She even reminded him of the crowd of kids we saw when our families were at the mall together one evening, and these kids were clearly older than 12 years old, but they were acting and doing stupid stuff! So, it’s not Jake that I don’t trust, but the influences around him. He’s too young to think in adult situations and quite honestly, I want to keep Jake as young as possible! So, the group thing, with supervision will continue until I feel good and ready! I’m his parent and I’m the one responsible for protecting him.

As for the girlfriend and going out thing, absolutely NOT! I am not opposed to a “girlfriend”, because I can’t control who he likes or dislikes. I was 13 years old when I started dating my husband, so I can’t be a hypocrite and tell him he can’t have a girlfriend. Anyway, we agreed that he can have his “girlfriend” to our home when we are home and under our supervision. We also agreed that after meeting the girlfriend’s parents and assuring they will be home when he wants to visit, he may visit his girlfriend. I did talk to the mother last night, and we are very much on the same page which I was so happy about. This young lady is her third child, so she’s been through this twice already. She probably thinks I’m a nut with all the questions I asked her last night. I just need to know who my child is hanging with and what influences he will be around. I’m so glad this family sounds wonderful and I’m excited to meet the mother. I hope I’m making the right decision and I’m hoping with church and the openness we share, that he will always make the right decision. All we can do from this point forward it guide and direct him, but ultimately, they will make the final decision. I can only pray that God will always be in his choices.

Like I said, Jake is 12 ½ and we’ve never been away from him for more than a couple of days at a time, but that will change as of Sunday. We have registered Jake for his first overnight camp in Wilkes Barre, PA called Bear Creek. It’s a Christian camp that’s been around for a long time and that comes highly recommended. I can’t believe we are doing it! I think he’s ready and I think he needs this experience. The only thing he asked for his first away camp experience was that he attends one that a friend will be attending. Thank the Lord for Carrie, because Jake will be going the same week with Miles. Jake was so thrilled to hear we were able to get him in the same week with Miles even though I was first told they were completely booked. The Lord some how moved mountains for us so that Jake could have this experience with a friend. I’m praying that he loves it and wants to return next summer. We have lots to do in a short time to get him packed and ready, but it will be so worth it.

We are looking forward to this coming weekend because we are attending Living Hope’s annual reunion at the Great Wolf Lodge. YES! If you’ve never been, you should check it out because it is a blast. The last time we went was two years ago after bringing Rachel home. My friend Melanie and her kids invited us and we have an amazing time. I will never forget that weekend with them. We are so excited for it this weekend and we are looking forward to connecting with friends and families we met along our adoption journey. The reunions are always great and the women who plan them from LHAA are so incredibly wonderful and do such a great job in making everyone comfortable. I’m excited that next year parents may be more involved in the planning of the reunion, since it is growing and becoming such a large task for the small staff at LHAA. I’ve been networking with families to recruit others to help in this endeavor. Anyway, the Great Wolf Lodge offers a great indoor water park and it even has small outdoor pool area. Talk about great entertainment for the kids! LHAA is also planning a dinner Saturday night at a local Chinese restaurant! I can’t wait for Friday! When we make our way home on Sunday, that’s when we will drop Jake off at camp for a week. That should be interesting!

Rachel will be starting a pre-school this September and boy does she need it. She is so smart, I know, I say that all the time, but she really is amazing. If you have a three year old or an almost three year like Rachel, you will know how trying this age is. I love her so much, but there are times where I just need to put her in her room for a break. She’s been so incredibly feisty and the smart mouth has started. Sometimes I have to control myself from laughing, because she really is funny, but my goodness, she gets mad so easily. I don’t know if she is testing us or if this is her personality. I don’t want her to get angry so fast. For instance, this morning I had to leave for work, but she wanted me to read her a book, Frosty the Snowman! I know, it’s summer, but that’s the book she wanted me to read. I said, okay I can read it one time. Not only did I read the book but we then sang the song together. Well, I told her I had to leave but of course she said “read it again.” I tell her that I can’t that I need to leave for work. Well, she gets off my lap and says “I’ll read it myself!” If you could have seen the look on her face and how angry she got, it just saddens my heart. I know children think the world revolves around them and I try so hard to be a good mom, but that just upset me this morning. She wouldn’t even kiss me good-bye. She is terrible to Jake. He can’t go near her without her screaming at him or yelling. Oh yeah, the screaming has gotten horrible too. So, what in the world am I doing wrong? We discipline her and we don’t let her get away with things. Even my mother in-law called me last week to talk to her because she was being nasty. Rachel always says to me “I’m nasty cause I’m tired” or “I nasty cause I didn’t have a good sleep.” She’s heard me use this excuse for her when she’s being nasty to people. Now she thinks it’s okay. Girls are very different from boys. I guess I didn’t expect the “attitude” to start this young. She is extremely independent and extremely strong willed. It will serve her well later, but in the meantime, what do I do? She is so smart and says words like, condensation and supervision and she completely gets it! I don’t know, those seem like very big words for someone as young as her. She completely explained condensation to me in the car yesterday because daddy explained it to her that morning. She is such a sponge! I can’t wait till she starts school because HOLY MOLY the things she will learn. I love this girl to death and I hope our love, affection and discipline will work out in the end. I know it’s about consistency as well, and I feel like we are being consistent. Any advice is so welcomed! My kids are my everything and I know Rachel is going through a phase. She really is a blessing from God and this is just one of his tests!

We are still waiting to hear about Andrea’s travel approval to go to China to get Phoebe. We are hoping that she and Dave will travel sometime this month. I remember this part of the waiting process and it was probably the hardest part for me knowing who my daughter is and knowing that we are now waiting for each other. Andrea is experiencing many emotions including whether or not she will be a good parent. I have no doubt in my mind that she will be a good mother. All the things she is putting in order and in place tells me she is already a good mother. So, please keep Andrea, Phoebe and Dave in your prayers!

I just want to say that all your prayers are working, because my back is feeling so much better. I don’t know if it finally worked itself out or if it’s the medication, but I’m thrilled to be able to get in and out of my car without cringing or crying in pain. I’m able to get down on the floor and play with Rachel again and I’m able to do a simple task of putting my pants on again without feeling like I’m dying. So, thank you for your prayers and support. I pray that I continue on this path. I’m working now on losing weight so that I can feel even better. I started doing Weight Watchers online and I’m loving it. I’m down 4 lbs. and feel great and confident that I’ve been sticking to my program for a full week now. I didn’t even blow it this weekend when I went away overnight with my girlfriend. I didn’t keep track, but when I went back and wrote down everything I ate, I was surprised to learn that I actually have some flex points leftover! So, if you can continue to keep me in your prayers that I can stay on this program and continue losing weight for my health, I would be so grateful. The last two years of stress as taken its toll and I’ve put everything back on that I’ve lost with Weight Watchers about 5 or 6 years ago. I’m not going to let that get me down, but I’m going to keep my head up and keep journaling and staying on plan!

I have rambled on yet again, but all of my words will be a great treasure for my children and grandchildren in the future. Blessings!
































No comments: