Monday, April 4, 2011

I Saw Your Face for the First Time Three Years Ago Today!



I can’t believe it’s been three years today that we saw our baby girl’s face for the first time. I will never forget this day! For over three years prior to this day, I wondered what Rachel looked like and couldn’t wait to know what she would feel like in my arms. Right now three years ago, we are overjoyed with excitement as we shared the good news of our daughter’s referral. We probably made 100+ phone calls and shared our photo with everyone who has been waiting with us. I remember getting Jake from school the morning of receiving the phone call from our agency and as soon as Jake saw me at his school, he knew this was the day he would finally see his sister’s face. We got to the agency and they were waiting for us. We walked up to the front door and were greeted with a “Congratulations Crist Family” sign and when we entered, confetti was thrown on our heads. We were dying to see the photos! When we saw our daughter’s face, she was more perfect and more amazing than we ever imagined. I couldn’t get over the size of her and how beautiful her bald head was. I loved the little smirk on her face and that she already looked like she was withholding a funny little secret. Her eyes looked happy and that helped me pass the next six weeks as we waited for travel approval. This day is probably one of the most significant days for me, because this is the first day that we laid our eyes on Rachel. I mean her birthday is special of course, but I didn’t get to share that day with her. Maybe it’s kind of like seeing your child for the first time in an ultrasound…I don’t know. But when I think back, it brings tears to my eyes that our wait was almost over!

Rachel is so perfect for our family and I will always remember, as if I gave birth to her, what I felt when I first saw her beautiful face. She is amazing in everyway and I thank God for the privilege to be her mother. I’m blessed beyond words with the most two amazing kids! I pray that God will give me all that I need to be the parent He would have me be. I love you Jake and Rachel. I hope you will always know that.

No comments: