I’m so excited for Jake! He has made the baseball team with his middle school. Our school district only has one team which is composed of both 7th and 8th graders. Not sure why this is the case since most districts do have a separate team for both…I think anyway. Apparently they said there just isn’t enough interest, but I find that hard to believe since over forty 7th graders tried out for the team this year! The first cut was made after the first week of practice and only ten boys were chosen and of course, Jake was one of them. The ten had to endure yet another week of practice before the final seven 7th graders were chosen. Jake found out yesterday morning that he was one of the seven! We are totally psyched for him. He really doesn’t think he deserved to make the team. I wish I knew why he sells himself short all the time. He has so much natural ability and a huge amount of potential. Obviously the coach saw those attributes too! You go Jake! We know you will do awesome and we know that you will make us and your team proud.
Another milestone for Jake this past weekend is that he got contacts! Honestly, I don’t know how this kid played sports and did well in school because his eyes have deteriorated horribly over the last year and a half since his last eye exam. He went from a -1.75 to -2.25 and -2.50! The eye doctor couldn’t believe he was dealing with this for so long. I don’t think Jake realized how blind he was! When we left the eye doctor on Saturday, he couldn’t believe the crispness and sharpness of everything around him. He called me upon his return home from school yesterday and said “I didn’t realize how big the clock was at school and I can see the numbers on it!” I wish I had known he was struggling! He NEVER wore his glasses in school because it’s just “not cool!” Maybe if he had worn them, his eyes wouldn’t have deteriorated the way they had. Anyway, I think the contacts are going to give him more confidence in all he does. The doctor said we will probably see a huge difference in all he does including school and sports.
Yesterday was a big day for Dave and me! We are the proud owners of a 2008 Nissan Altima. We are not the type to turnover cars every few years. In fact, both of our cars were 14 years old! We traded our 1998 Chevrolet Malibu in for a 2008 Nissan Quest minivan which we absolutely love! The spacious room is exactly what we need, especially for traveling and whatnot. Dave and I constantly battled over whose turn it was to drive it! I knew that my 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier’s time was up, because poor Jake had no room in the back seat. At 13 years old, he’s already just about at 5’10” tall and probably still growing. His knees were pretty much in his chest whenever he road in the backseat of the Cavalier. It is so nice not having car payments, but it’s so nice driving a newer model car. Heck, I’m excited that I have a CD player! I’ve had a cassette player all this time. I don’t even think you can buy cassette tapes anymore! LOL. Anyway, we are excited and blessed that we are able to afford a “new” car and hope that we get 14 years out this one! The Altima is very nice! It’s white with a moon roof. It’s definitely not top of the line, but it has some fun features like a “push” start button. You don’t need a key to start the engine or unlock the doors! As long as the remote is in your pocket or purse, you can open the car or start the engine. It rides so smoothly compared to the Cavalier. We feel so blessed that God has blessed our finances that have allowed us to make this investment! If things go right, I’m praying that we can outright purchase our next car and not finance!
No comments:
Post a Comment