Saturday, May 31, 2008

Finally Home















.






We've been home a whole day and half! I've lost about 2 days worth of sleep so far. Poor Rachel's schedule is so messed up, which means, so is everyone else's'! Rachel went to bed around midnight our first night home and was up by 3:30 AM and she didn't go back to bed until about 9:15 yesterday morning. Jake and I went back to bed too and slept until 1:00 PM. I woke Rachel up when we got up. We all took showers and then headed to Wal-mart for formula and a couple of baby odds and ends. We decided to drive to my in-laws from there where Rachel took about a 30 minute cat nap. She didn't even wake up when we took her from the car and walked into the house. I was able to keep her up till a little after 8:00 PM. I was thrilled thinking she would sleep. I was so wrong! She got up at 12:30 AM and didn't go back down until 2:00 AM. I still hadn't fallen asleep yet! Where was the benedryl when I needed it! She woke up 4:15 AM and just went back down at 7:00 AM. I'm going to let her sleep until about 10:00 or so, if she doesn't wake up on her own. I haven't gone to sleep yet. I'm going to keep myself awake today. Shouldn't be too hard since I have tons of laundry to do! Jake's school is having a spring fair today from 11 til 3:00, so we may take a walk to get out of the house for a bit. Jake is dying to show off Rachel. Truthfully, so am I! LOL.

As Dave mentioned in his quick blurb yesterday, Rachel was an absolute angel flying. She slept for a majority of the way from Beijing to Newark, NJ. There was a 1 1/2 year old who didn't do so well. She screamed for quite some time. I was so afraid she was going to wake Rachel up. We were able to get bulk head seating which allowed us to have a bassinet for Rachel. Honestly, she was too big for the thing, but it worked. Rachel likes to move from side to side when she's sleeping and she really couldn't do that in the bassinet. She probably slept a good solid 6 hours or so. Thank God!

When we got to the Beijing Airport, there was a large group from East Strausburg College. They were so infatuated with Rachel and she put on a show for them! She was so darn cute and funny. They couldn't believe she was waving, shaking her head no and talking very loudly. She is so funny! When we arrived at Newark, NJ we stood to the side waiting for our stroller and everyone congratulated us. It was so heart warming. Mommom Crist, Aunt Debbie and Andrea were waiting for us outside of baggage claim with balloons and flowers. Aunt Debbie rushed towards us with her camera and Mommom couldn't get her hands on Rachel fast enough. The tears were streaming! LOL! What a great "welcome home" entourage. Tina, Pete and the boys met us at the house. I really thought Rachel would be clingy and not want to go to anyone. Boy, did she prove us wrong! She let everyone hold her without a fuss and she laughed, waved, shook her head no (she loves doing that!), and was extremely vocal. I couldn't get over it. We just feel so absolutely blessed to have this little girl. She has been such a great addition to our family. We are so in love with her. It doesn't feel like we've only had her for a week and a half! It feels like she's always been a part of our family. She looks so comfortable and happy.

I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to really call anyone yesterday. I was in a total fog and just not feeling real well. Between jet lag and my equilibrium, it took a toll on me yesterday. I had an inner ear infection before leaving for China and I think I may still have it. If I'm not better by Monday, we will be taking another trip to the doctor. Speaking of doctor, Rachel has her first pediatrician appointment on Tuesday morning. I know they may want to draw blood, and I'm not sure I can handle that!

The emails and comments on our blog were so wonderful. Thank you so much for all your prayers and thoughtful words. They really meant the world to us! God heard all your prayers, because we all made it home safe and sound with our beautiful daughter. I can't wait for you all to meet her.

3 comments:

Evelyn said...

Welcome Back! I have enjoyed reading your journey to Rachel. Your red couch photo is probably the best one I've seen almost all the babies are still. Love the little one next to Rachel in blue, wondering what he/she was thinking about LOL

Evelyn
Precious Panda

Anonymous said...

Glad you are all doing well. I understand the sleeping problem. Abigail is on that same schedule. I was so excited yesterday that I got her to nap twice for 1-1/2 hours then woke her up. I thought YES, she will sleep tonight. Well it is 2 AM and she is full of it ready to play! I know what you mean about the blood work, Abigail had it done on Friday and it broke my heart. They also wanted a urine same so put this sticky bag on her and she cried all the way home, once we got home I took it off because it was hurting her. So we still need to concur that. Just wanted to say "Hi" and hope everyone is doing well. If you find success with Rachel sleeping at night, let me know the trick :-). Have a great day!
Amanda

Anonymous said...

Welcome home! We can't wait to meet Rachel!
Love ya! Melanie, Billy, Kayla & Danielle